D.I.Y. Chocolate Coffee Martini
Don’t you just love sunny spring days? Going out with your friends for some lunch and grabbing a martini? And not just ANY martini - something decadent, something smooth, something that makes you close your eyes in pleasure as you take the first sip. Well, I’m going to share with you a martini that you can make at HOME, without all the fuss of going out! My roommate had just purchased some patio furniture and we were dying to use it. What better day for a Chocolate Coffee Martini?!
The first step is to infuse chocolate into rum – I used Captain Morgan Private Stock and some Hershey’s Milk Chocolate. For those of you that don’t know, here’s a brief snippit on the awesomeness of alcohol infusion:
“Infusing liquor imparts great flavor to alcohol and is simple to do. Within a matter of days, your infused liquor will be ready to be enjoyed as is or to be incorporated into cocktails. Any type of liquor will work and the sky’s the limit when it comes to the items you can include.” - How to Infuse Liquor | eHow.com
Alcohol Infusion (Rum and Chocolate)
What you need:
1 bottle Captain Morgan Private Stock (dark rum)
1 bar of chocolate (your chocolate of choice – it doesn’t matter, dark or milk chocolate). I used Hershey’s Milk Chocolate.
What to do:
1. Pour out a small amount of the Captain Morgan rum (enough where it won’t overflow with the added chocolate)
2. Cut small pieces of your chocolate and place it into the glass bottle of Captain Morgan
3. Seal and place the bottle in a dark, cool place (away from the sun)
4. Shake the bottle 2-3 times a day (to help the chocolate to dissolve into the rum. Leave it untouched (other then shaking it) for three days up to two weeks.
5. Strain the infused liquor with cheesecloth before adding to your drink
I kept the chocolate in my rum for 6 days. With the help of my roommate the bottle was shaken about twice a day throughout the 6 day period. I strained the rum 3 times through the cheesecloth and placed it back into the bottle.
Chocolate Coffee Martini
What you need:
1 bottle Captain Morgan Private Stock Chocolate Infused Rum
1 bottle Bailey’s Original (Irish Cream)
1 jar Cool Whip
1 Hershey’s Chocolate Bar
4 – 8 cups Coffee (cold)
What you do:
1. Brew and chill a pot of coffee (I placed the coffee in the refrigerator the night before, to have it as cold as possible)
2. Melt half of the Hershey’s chocolate bar with a double-broilerDip the martini glasses into the melted chocolate, rimming the glasses. Place the glasses in the refrigerator to harden the chocolate.Once the martini glasses are cool and the chocolate has hardened, remove the glasses from the refrigerator. *cough* Since I don’t OWN a double broiler I used a oven-safe bowl over a pot of previously boiling water. For more info about melting chocolate look here.
3. Put the rest of the Hershey’s chocolate bar into the freezer for later use.
4. Add two spoonfuls of Cool Whip to the bottom of the martini glass.
5. In a drink mixer/shaker add three-four cubes of ice, 1/2 cups coffee, 1/2 Bailey’s Original, 1/3 Captain Morgan Private Stock Chocolate Infused Rum. Shake.
6. Pour cocktail in the martini glass.
7. Remove the Hersey’s bar from the freezer and grate over drink (The whipped cream should have risen to the top. Add more if wanted :)
I’m open to suggestions for the next D.I.Y. martini! Any ideas?