Halloween Goodies: Caramel Apple Jello Shots
This post was originally pulled from That’s So Michelle. And I’d like to thank @hecticivan for the heads up.
This Saturday I’ll be hosting, with the help of my roommate, a Halloween Bash! Wooohoo!! And even though I’ve promised myself that I won’t be cooking enough for an army, I HAD to do something cool. And what better than these Caramel Apple Jello Shots?! Special thanks again to Michelle for allowing us to re-blog this post!
(If you wanted something with a little bit more alcohol content you could always try them out with Van Gogh Dutch Caramel Vodka instead of butterscotch schnapps)
Shopping List (makes about 40 slices/shots)
10 small granny smith apples
1 envelope knox gelatin
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 drops yellow food coloring
1 envelope Land o Lakes caramel hot chocolate (Regular would do just fine if you can’t find caramel)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butterscotch schnapps
1. Half and hollow out apples cutting them from the stem down. I used a melon baller to hollow the apples and it worked well. After hollowing them squeeze some lemon juice on top to reduce browning.
2. Mix your 1/2 cup water with your envelope of hot chocolate in a medium sized sauce pan. Whisk it to make sure all the chocolate is combined. Add the 1/2 cup of coconut milk, whisk again.
3. Sprinkle your gelatin on top and let it sit a few minutes. Turn on low/medium heat and mix the gelatin until all is combined.
4. Add 1/4 cup sugar and simmer slightly until sugar is combined. Add your food coloring until you get the caramel color desired. I used two drops. Let mixture cool to warm. Pour in your 1/2 cup of butterscotch schnapps.
5. With your apples arranged so they fit tightly and secure on a cookie sheet, pour your caramel jello mixture into your apples. Refrigerate overnight.
6. Cut halves in quarters and those quarters in half again. Serve immediately. (The lemon juice can only prevent the browning for so long). Trim off the sides of the apples that have browned too much!
For featuring on your website please make sure to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Original Caramel Apple Jello Shots [With Real Apples] : http://www.thatssomichelle.com/2011/09/caramel-apple-shots-with-real-apples.html